On 04/25/2017 03:29 PM, Jim Weill wrote:
> I have been experiencing a problem with web pages refusing to load for more
> than 60 seconds in some cases since updating to the newest version of the
> 52.x track.  My office internet is a 1Gbps incoming line, of which I usually
> get no less than 10Mbps when there is high traffic on the line.
>
> I am finding that such disparate sites as google, facebook, and other
> high-reliability sites sit and spin at random times throughout the day.  If I
> open a command line and ping that site, I get a ping time of 3-10ms and very
> little deviation from the time on a continuous ping (i.e. no single ping
> taking more than the time specified, or nslookup errors, etc).  Yet the site
> sits and spins for far too long before eventually loading correctly. Is there
> a preference I have set wrong that's causing this, or is this behavior also
> being noticed by anyone else on this release track?

Jim,
My own experience... Waaay back in the days of KDE3 and Firefox 13(?) i could
easily have 700 tabs and 300 windows open on a much less capable Linux/amd64
desktop w/o any appreciable slowness.

For the past couple years, even with a decent machine and 32GB of ram, i have
*massive* latency (upto 30 second tab loads in some cases) in all firefox
profiles i run (i generally run 3-5 different profiles simultaneously to do
different tasks and split load as too many tabs/windows is glacially slow.  In
sum i still run 300-1000 total tabs and several hundred windows).   My fans
spin high because the CPU is under duress...

Anyway, while testing FF 53 before deploy to the organization's linux NFS
server the other day, i started from a terminal window (rather than the DE
Launcher) and saw a bunch of Gtk and Gdk assertion failures and such when
hitting a specific page.   I've seen these before, but they usually came in
small dribbles; now they were just perpetual on that site.

I saw references to Adobe Flashplayer being responsible for this, and
lo/behold, upon switching Flashplayer to "Never Activate", the Gtk/Gdk messages
stopped.
I then disabled Flashplayer in all of my other profiles , and my Atlassian
Confluence tabs suddenly became usable again. (instead of 30 seconds of
grinding waiting to edit a page or authenticate, it took no more than 4-5
seconds).

While i'm massively disappointed in the performance still (yeah, partly the
freakin' web and it's abundance of dazzle/privacy-theft sites), it turns out
that Flashplayer being active for a single tab was killing my system.

Fortunately, it seems most websites are now either flash-free, or able to run
without it.  (i have NoScript installed as well).

So, try making sure all your plugins (esp Flash) are disabled and see if you
can still replicate the slowness.  (or run in 'safe' mode).  (i feel so dirty
now using the cop-out Mozilla Support "run it in SAFE MODE" excuse :-( )

--stephen