(TL:DR; How to use LegacyProfiles only for the initial run, to migrate
the old profile's data into the new install, and let people use
profile-per-install after that?)

For reasons which don't bear going into, my organization is only now
initiating the upgrade process from Firefox ESR 52 to a newer version
(ESR 78). We are, at the same time, also transitioning from 32-bit to
64-bit Firefox - or at the very least, we would like to do so.

However, this combination - plus Windows' segregation of 32-bit and
64-bit programs into different path hierarchies, and the established
practice of uninstalling old Firefox versions before installing new
ones, as I understand is recommended - means that we're also hitting the
"profile per install" transition, and without further action our users
will lose access to the contents of their established Firefox profiles.

Our users do not necessarily have Firefox accounts, and cannot
reasonably be expected to create them for the purpose of upgrading
(never mind what happens if they didn't create one before the upgrade
went through), so restoring data from a previous Firefox via Firefox
Sync - as is suggested by the "Important News" page that appears on
first launching Firefox after the upgrade - is not an option.

- From what I've read (both documentation and conversations), I gather
that the established way to move forward on this for enterprises is the
MOZ_LEGACY_PROFILES environment variable and/or the LegacyProfiles
policy setting, to continue using the established single profile.
However, it also looks as if the "profile per install" functionality
won't be available for as long as we keep that setting in place; that
wouldn't be ideal, because I can think of scenarios where being
able to have two versions installed and used side-by-side could be
extremely helpful, and I'd hate for us to be locked out of that
indefinitely.

Testing also seems to indicate that if we launch the new Firefox install
for the first time using that "legacy profiles" setting, and then later
launch the same install without it, the old install's profile will be
retained and the generated new profile from the upgrade won't happen. In
theory, that could let us thread the needle, and bring the old profile
across to the profile-per-install world.

However, in order to safely drop this setting and start letting people
use profile-per-install, we'll have to first be sure that every profile
which will need to be imported in this way has been so imported - and
that will take us at least a year and another Firefox ESR upgrade, if
indeed we can ever become sufficiently certain of it at all.

It looks as if what I want is to have Firefox use the "import legacy
profile" behavior for the first-ever run (per Windows user profile) with
a version that supports profile-per-install, but not use it after that.
I can imagine a contrived configuration to make sure the environment
variable is set and unset properly for that, but every time I try to
figure out how to create one, it quickly turns into an obvious fragile
hard-to-maintain error-prone kludge.

Are there any established solutions here? What are my options?

I'm assuming that it would at least work to replace the contents of the
new profile's directory with a copy of the contents of one from an old
profile, for manual handling of special cases or backfilling if we turn
off LegacyProfiles after a while and then discover profiles which hadn't
been brought forward - but of course that's not a viable first default
approach for an organization of any nontrivial size.

I suspect I could avoid the problem for now by sticking with 32-bit
Firefox (and therefore with the same installation path as before), which
wouldn't be so bad at present - but that would only mean that I'd have
the problem again when we eventually do migrate to 64-bit, and I expect
it would be even worse at that point, because the fact that the
transition to the new profile-handling model would already have been
made could very plausibly mean Firefox wouldn't pick up and handle the
correct profiles with the LegacyProfiles setting.

Really, the ability to import a profile from another installation would
be useful for that 32-bit-to-64-bit transition even more than from older
to newer Firefox; it sounds to me as if it would be useful for other
scenarios as well, including especially for various types of developers.
I'm a little startled that I haven't found mention of any apparent
established solution for doing this more generally (short of manually
copying profile contents around and/or editing profiles.ini /
installs.ini, which seem unwieldy and failure-prone).

- --
  Andrew J. Buehler