Hi Diane and Bill

Thanks for your input.

I forgot to mention that I'd deleted com.microsoft.OfficeNotifications.plist
already.  This keeps the message away for a while.

The Verification option still turns up a notification, so I imagine turning
it off is not an option.

Your suggestion of bad RAM intrigued me.  I've swapped out the two SODIMM
that were in there with an identical set in my daughters PowerBook and the
problem persisted on my wife's machine but caused not a ripple on my
daughters.  I also tested the RAM chips at a friendly Mac engineers and it
came up clean FWIW.

Could it be low RAM caused by upgrading to 10.5 in May this year?  It's
certainly taken a few months to surface if this is the case but I've always
felt that 512Mb was on the low side for Leopard.  The computer is used for
internet browsing with occasional launch of MYOB or Word.

Best wishes

John Blagden
The Blagden Consultancy

Telephone: 0844 884 5309