On 2/25/09 2:49 PM, Bob Virzi wrote:

> Ent¹08 on 10.5
>
> I just found what I consider to be either a rather egregious bug or a very
> poor choice in implementation.  It involves search within a folder in the mail
> panel.  Say I have mail from Sly Fox in my inbox.  His email address is
> sly....@inthewoods.com.  If I filter the mailbox so that ŒFrom contains
> inthewoods¹ I, and I believe most reasonable people, would expect the filter
> to find and display my dear friend Sly Fox, because his email address does
> contain Œinthewoods.¹  Most surprisingly, it does not.  You cannot
> search/filter on actual parts of the email address!  This breaks a large
> number of very useful searches that would work in every other email program I
> have ever used.  Like show me all the mail from people at foo.com in this
> mailbox.

Hi, Bob --

It works this way in Entourage 2004 (11.4.0, Mac OS X 10.4.11) too. I just
did a From Contains and typed in "verizon.com" (without quotes), knowing it
would show me your mail. Nope. Then I typed in "bob.virzi" (again, without
quotes), knowing it would show me yoru email. Nope. But typing in "Bob
Virzi" (without quotes) works a charm, there you are -- both today's
message, and one from 10/19/07 about your transition from Eudora to
Entourage and a corporate Exchange server.

Interesting. I'd never noticed this limitation of feature before! I search
on "from" a lot, but usually use people's names as I'm not sure without
looking whether it's bob_smith or bob.smith or b.smith or bobarella as the
actual email address. But I can see why a person might want to see everyone
from a particular domain at a glance. As I said, interesting!

~Linda