Well, it may be that (unless he's using POP) he may be able to just close the old version and open Entourage 2008. The new data would be in the new database, while he was seeing the old data from the unconverted database with 2004. If he did POP some new mail with the old client, he'll need to save out those messages and import them into 2008.

Or am I missing something?