Tom Pfeiffer wrote:

The "Next Big Thing" when I was a programmer was top down, structured
programming (COBOL and 370 Assembler).

Like Jane, I remember the days fondly, the nights not so fondly, and hardly
ever wish I still had a clue what goes on under the hood.

I was one of the lucky ones. We had terminals to do our coding on, but if a
program bombed at night we still got to fix and recompile it via punch cards
because the mainframe we had was not big enough to run the online system AND
the night batch system at the same time.

I'll bow to my elder, Jane, I'm only 54 :)

Tom P.

Boy, you programmer guys and gals had it easy....... We hardware grunts had to roll out of bed when the phone rang at 0230 because the mainframe, card reader/punch, or terminal controller was malfunctioning...... Every now and then I'd see a programmer when I got on site, but he/she was usually a systems programmer not an application programmer. When they were on site before me I knew I was in for a long night into morning when I could, maybe, get relieved by a co-worker.

But, because we got any "extra comp" in a separate check I was able to put that away in my "secret rat hole" and buy surprises for the family and toys for me.....

BTW, I turned 2/3 evil last June.......  That's only two sixes, 66.......

Bob

--

                          /////
                         ( O O )