Yet another uninformed opinion, based completely on my own preferences, but
hey, at least I'm honest about it!

This is a particularly bad time to sell the 28-135mm since there are 40D
kits that include a new one and sell for only $200 more than just the
camera. Once the 18-55 IS becomes the kit lens at year-end, the supply of
28-135IS lenses will start to drop a bit and prices will get back to the
$350 mark for used ones.

As for the Elan, if you absolutely positively will never shoot film, you
could sell it, but not much value there (~$150 tops), it might be worth more
to you to keep it.

The allure of the full frame is there, but the 40D is much newer technology.
The 5D is likely going to be replaced in February, so if you're buying
before then, I'd go with the 40D (I like mine!).

I'm 100% with you on the 100-400mm, mine has been close to out the door for
a while now, it's nowhere near as sharp as either of the 300/4's, and it's
much bulkier.

I'd probably sell both that and the 100mm macro, and use the proceeds to buy
a 300 f/4 and a Sigma 150 or 180 macro, the extra working distance is great
and the lenses are as good as your present macro, in fact most people will
not find any IQ difference in the Sigma 180 and the Canon 180.

So now for something wide. IMHO, IS is nice, but the wider the lens the less
likely it is to really make a difference. So you could go with a Canon
17-40L or a Sigma 12-24mm and still have a nice clear upgrade path to full
frame if you later decide to take the plunge.

Tom P.

PS, I agree, keep the 550EX, it's not worth the $150 upgrade.