On Wed, 25 Nov 2015 15:25:21 +0000
Peter Robinson <pbrobin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> So it's been discussed a little about doing a EPEL bootstrap for new
> architectures. We have a number of arches wanting to do this (ppc64le,
> aarch64, i686, s390x). So ppc64le will be our first and this is an
> overview of the process I'll be using to do it. Once it's complete
> I'll do a better write up as I suspect some things will evolve as we
> go on down the path.
>
> So the general overview of the process is:
>
> 1) add new builders to koji (ppc64le complete)
> 2) create separate inherited build target and tag
> (epel7-archbootstrap) with associated architecture
> 3) run scratch builds in that target using the git commit hashes from
> the latest builds in the epel7, epel7-testing and epel7-candidate tags
> 4) For each scratch build completed, run mergeScratch(task_id)
> 5) when all builds are complete enable the arch on the main epel7
> target
> 6) sign all new packages
> 7) update bodhi, pkgdb, mash configs
> 7) mirror out
>
> I have some scripts to do the above which I'll publish for reference
> once I've cleaned them up a little.
>
> This process isn't perfect. The new arch builds may not have the exact
> same build dependency NVRs because, at least in the case of ppc64le,
> the first EL7 release with .el7 distags is 7.2 and obviously most of
> epel7 is built against < 7.2. The mergeScratch koji API call imports
> all the build logs which helps mitigate this from a debug PoV. There's
> not really a good way to deal with this, and obviously once the new
> arch is enabled they'll be the same moving forward. I don't see it as
> an issue really, just making note of it here for reference.
>
> Looking at the current stable epel7 builds, as of a couple of days
> ago, we have around 4763 source packages, of which 2686 are noarch
> (and hence don't need to be rebuilt) and a touch under 2077 (2077 at
> time of check) are arch dependent.
>
> Let me know of any queries, questions, concerns etc

sounds sane :-) But how will be handled packages that require some
boostrapping procedure - is a new combo of boostrap and final build
required in existing EPEL (dist-git) or or will be the bootstrap build
taken from the original EPEL bootstrap (built eg. against RHEL-7 Beta)
and the current latest NVR will be then the final build?

                Dan