On 23 February 2016 at 14:10, Christian Dersch <lupi...@mailbox.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> some weeks ago I took the quassel package to fix security issues. This
> worked fine for Fedora and EPEL 7, but for EPEL 6 I'm unable to apply
> security fixes as one of them (the most important one...) requires C++11
> features not available in gcc 4.4 :( What is the best strategy for such
> a package?

Ouch. If the patches can't be applied cleanly and it seems that the
current version won't compile with the older compiler.. I would look
at removing the package from EPEL-6. Now how to do that cleanly is a
bit up to the maintainer. The one time I believe I have done it, I
added a "README-END-OF-LIFE" file explaining why it was being removed
and also made a change to the RPM info. I pushed that and then went
through the process of removing the package from EPEL. That way if
people updated to that version they got a reason of why it was not
going to show up anymore.

> Greetings,
> Christian

Stephen J Smoogen.