So, I've been playing around with trying to get cobbler and django 1.8 built
with python2.7 for EPEL6 here:

https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/g/python/python2.7_epel6/packages/

I've basically got this working, with the following caveats:

- You can only have one (python) version of mod_wsgi installed/loaded in
httpd.  Currently in EPEL, there is only the system python version of mod_wsgi
available, although in Fedora there is also a python3 version available with
this same condition.  It does:

$ cat /etc/httpd/conf.modules.d/10-wsgi-python3.conf
# NOTE: mod_wsgi_python3 can not coexist in the same apache process as
# mod_wsgi (python2).  Only load if mod_wsgi is not already loaded.

<IfModule !wsgi_module>
    LoadModule wsgi_module modules/mod_wsgi_python3.so
</IfModule>

So I've done the same thing with python2.7-mod_wsgi for EPEL6.  This will
cause an upgrade issue though for EPEL6 users as they will need to remove or
disable mod_wgsi after the upgrade.  This shouldn't affect EPEL7 at the moment
as Django 1.8 should be able to be built with the system python 2.7.

- I built python2.7-django1.8 as a versioned egg
(https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Python_Eggs#Multiple_Versions).
This requires dependent packages to use pkg_resources from setuptools to load
the dep.  For example:

+import pkg_resources
+pkg_resources.require("Django >= 1.8")

I don't think this is too onerous for allowing us to upgrade the version of
Django later.  I don't know if there can be upper version limits and if so
whether they should be used or not.

Comments?

--
Orion Poplawski