On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 8:34 AM Stephen John Smoogen <smo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Feb 2019 at 09:39, Troy Dawson <tdaw...@redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > I want to make sure I'm reading this right.
> > A packager puts a package into EPEL.
> > If the user does nothing, that package continues to be in EPEL.
> > If the user wishes to end support, they sent off and email, compose
> > one final build (if it can compose), wait for it to land, then send
> > off another email.
> >
> > If I'm reading this right, I don't see much of a difference between
> > this and what we currently do.  The only main difference I see is that
> > we currently say you should maintain the package until the end of the
> > life of the major RHEL release.  Or, is that what this is about, just
> > changing the lifetime that a person can commit to.
> >

> 1. It codifies what we do. The items that packagers keep bringing up
> is that EPEL means I have to maintain a package for the lifetime of
> RHEL. While that was true when  EPEL-4/5 were being planned.. it
> hasn't been but people keep saying it is. Being clear in policy saying
> packages in EPEL are only committed to for N amount of time makes it
> clear to both packagers and consumers.
> 2. With the release cycle change, it means that
> /pub/epel/releases/7.6/ will eventually moved to
> /pub/archive/epel/releases/7.6/ . If the user needs something that was
> in 7.6 but not in 7.7 they can grab it out of there... many of them
> are already doing it out of kojipkgs or
> /pub/archive/fedora/releases/18 anyway so we aren't saving the user
> from themselves.
>
> Does that help?

Yes it does.
Do we want to put anything in about packages that no longer install
due to updates.  Whether those updates are in EPEL or RHEL.
An example would be when EPEL7  nodejs goes to nodejs 8 (or 10),
There will be a handful of packages that no longer will be
installable.  Can we have a policy for those, or is that beyond the
scope of this proposal?