On Tue, 2 Apr 2019 at 18:29, David Dykstra <d...@fnal.gov> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> singularity-3.1.1 was just released upstream, and I think it is at this
> point compatible enough with singularity-2 to upgrade it in EPEL6 and
> EPEL7.  I have had singularity-3 releases in Fedora for over 3 months,
> but have been holding off on EPEL upgrades because it is a complete
> rewrite in another language (golang instead of C) and initially had some
> incompatibilities.  There is no more development happening in
> singularity-2, although the startup company that supplies long term
> support for singularity-2 (Sylabs) has promised to release any security
> patches that it develops.
>
> Is there any objection, or any process that needs to be gone through, in
> order to do this type of major upgrade in EPEL?

I would start by doing scratch builds to see if there are versions of
go which will compile the code in EPEL-6 and EPEL-7. I am expecting
EPEL-6 might be too old and is only got a 18 months of life left so
keeping it at -2 and using the security updates will be the case.
EPEL-7 might be possible but not sure.

After that, the process for doing it in EPEL would be to email this
list with the reasons why an upgrade needs to be done, and then put in
a ticket https://pagure.io/epel/issues that we will discuss at the
next meeting. EPSCO would then probably give approval and you would
then send one more email announcing it is happening and bob's your
uncle.

> Thanks,
>
> Dave

Stephen J Smoogen.