On Sat, 18 May 2019 at 19:58, Kevin Fenzi <ke...@scrye.com> wrote:

> On 5/18/19 12:58 AM, TG Servers wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > as RHEL 8 was released it was clear to us that due to the new
> > infrastructure requirements there will be some more work to do for EPEL
> > 8 to be released.
> > Iirc form reading your plans it will be at least 8-10 weeks until there
> > will be an EPEL 8, unclear if it is really stable at that point.
>
> Right.
>
> > Is there anything, aside from older versions, which holds one back from
> > using EPEL 7 for the time being with RHEL 8 in production?
> > We don't really need that much from EPEL directly but are using repos in
> > production which depend on EPEL.
> > Or is this considered that unsafe we have to wait until EPEL 8 is done?
>
> I don't think it would have any chance of working. The libraries in
> rhel8 are completely different from rhel7. I don't think any epel7 rpms
> will install, and if they do, I doubt they would work at all.

I tried this at one point during the beta. Yes you can get some things to
install. Very few of them worked. If you are needing applications to work
on RHEL-8, your best bet to get things to install will be Fedora-28. Many
of these packages will install without problems and mostly work. [There are
of course some ABI differences which rpm can't determine but you may find.]

> kevin

Stephen J Smoogen.