On 12/2/19 4:54 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
On Tue, Dec 03, 2019 at 12:38:01AM +0100, Miro Hrončok wrote:
On 02. 12. 19 23:09, Ken Dreyer wrote:
On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 11:47 AM Neal Gompa <ngomp...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 1:34 PM Ken Dreyer <ktdre...@ktdreyer.com> wrote:

Hi folks,

In EPEL 7 we have some packages with "python34" and "python36"
prefixes in their names. I guess this is a consequence of using the
%{python3_pkgversion} macro over time.

Now that RHEL 7 has Python 3.6, and we want to deprecate Python 3.4 in
EPEL 7, I'm wondering about this.

If I'm introducing a Python 3 subpackage in a new build today, should
I name this sub-package "python3-foo" or
"python%{python3_pkgversion}-foo" ?

The subpackage should be "python%{python3_pkgversion}-foo" and you
should also make sure you have "%{?python_provide:%python_provide
python%{python3_pkgversion}-foo}" in the subpackage declaration too.

This is confusing to me, and it diverges from what Fedora does. Can we
just reduce this down to "python3-" now that RHEL 7 has python3, and
we'll probably never put another Python version into EPEL 7?

We **can** but we **haven't yet**. IMHO doing it in random packages is wrong.

Currently, python36-foo is form EPEL (and if done right, provides python3-foo).
OTOH python3-bar is from RHEL (and if done right, provides python36-bar).

They both provide both names, but from first glance, the origin of the
package is obvious. I kinda like that.

If we decide to redo this, it will be a lot of boring work for no clear benefit.
If we decide to only allow it for new packages, it would be a mess.

That said, technically:

  - it works either way
  - there is no real EPEL packaging guideline forcing one way or the other

I think we should encourage people to just use python3-foo now, but I
agree it would be a lot of work to try and convert everything to do
that.

The orig reason was so we could move python stacks forward since we were
maintaining them in epel. Since python 3.6 is in rhel and rhel7 is past
the point where I would expect many changes, I think 3.6 is here to
stay, so we dont really need it anymore. It's just extra noise that
makes spec files less readable now.

kevin

I'd like to see some broader discussion about what we might face in the future with RHEL8 and how we might handle that. I'm also not so sure that there won't be some kind of push for python 3.8 in EL7 at some point since EOL is 6/30/2024.

--
Orion Poplawski
Manager of NWRA Technical Systems          720-772-5637