On Sun, Aug 30, 2020 at 11:44 AM kevin <ke...@scrye.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 03:11:49PM -0700, Troy Dawson wrote:
> > > Pros for building against stream:
> > > - We would have a way to test EPEL packages that matter against the
> > > not yet released RHEL version.
> > > -- How often would this matter?
> > > -- It's hard to say.  There might not be a single EPEL package needing
> > > this for the entire RHEL 8.3 release.
> > > -- I know for the 8.2 release, I would have liked it so I would have
> > > had a place to let others test my updated KDE.
> > > --- But I found a work around, so I didn't have to have it.
> > >
> > > Cons for building against stream:
> > > - I think you've hit on a big thing.  For those wanting a major
> > > change, but don't care about stream, then playground becomes useless.
> > > -- So this cuts down on the usefulness of playground.  Packagers who
> > > want a major change in their package, and are working on stream.
> > > - HERE IS THE BIGGEST CON AGAINST USING STREAM
> > > -- CentOS Stream is only going to be based on RHEL8 until RHEL9 comes
> > > out.  At some point after that, it switches to being based off RHEL9.
> > > --- This means that infrastructure is going to have to switch
> > > everything back to being built off RHEL.
> > > --- We will have to re-document things.
> > > --- More confusion if we had go the CentOS Stream route.
> > >
> > > Troy
> >
> > At the EPEL Steering Committee Meeting, this was discussed again.
> > I believe we all agree that having -playground build off Stream isn't
> > a good thing.
> > But we are also concerned about possible library changes in RHEL8 that
> > might affect EPEL8 packages, and having something based off Stream
> > would be good.
> > Here is the proposal.
> > Note: A) was re-written with better wording than above.
> >
> > A) epel8-playground
> > 1 - Manual builds only.  No package.cfg files.  No automatic builds.
> > 2 - Assume playground depends on epel8.
> > 3 - Built off RHEL8 and CentOS Devel, just like epel8 is built.
> >
> > E) epel8-next
> > 1 - Manual builds only.  No package.cfg files.  No automatic builds.
> > 2 - Assume -next depends on epel.
> > 3 - Built off CentOS Stream.
> > 4 - Has a limited lifetime that corresponds with the CentOS Stream /
> > RHEL lifetime.
> > -- In other words, after CentOS Stream switches from RHEL8 to RHEL9,
> > then epel8-next get's archived.
> >
> > If people are wondering about the name, it was decided to use -next
> > instead of -stream, due to the overuse of 'stream' among other
> > reasons.
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> Well, I think it satisfies all the use cases, but... we barely have
> enough cycles to try and revamp playground. Do we think we have enough
> to do that and also make a new -next version?

Very good question.
Without being a superhero, do you and/or Smooge think we have the
resources to do this?
It's sounding like the answer is no.

> Also, if we do make it, perhaps we should think what critera we would
> use to determine it's successfull? 10 packages using it? more than 1?
> Perhaps we could gather a 'I would use this' list from maintainers
> before we implement it?

Also a very good question / idea.
Any ideas on what would be a good way to ask that?
Asking on epel-devel would get some.
Asking on epel-annouce would get more, but if we did that, we'd have
to have the answers not come back to that list.
Possibly cross post to fedora-devel and/or centos-devel.

Troy