If I have to choose then I prefer option #1

-  This seems to give us the most flexibility for evolving our APIs.
-  This is the current way it is implemented.  Changing this now will put
M6 at risk and would result in us pulling the API and making it
internal.provisional.
-  Worse case scenario is that we decide option #2 has many advantages in a
future release.  If this happens I think we have flexibility to deprecate
the old API and provide a new factory method to provide option #2.  This is
not ideal but it is a possibility if we find we made the wrong choice in
early API.
-  Besides embracing the JAAS API more in our API, I'm not sure what the
other advantages are.  We currently must provide our own factory class to
get ISecureContext.  This is already different from pure JAAS programming.
Also, the clients of our extensions still do implement true JAAS APIs (e.g.
LoginModule) to provide extensions to the security login features.

This type of discussion is very common in 1.0 API.  We likely will not know
how good the API is until others outside of the Eclipse team start
exercising the API.  At this point I recommend we stick with option #1.

Tom