> On 7 Oct 2015, at 09:24, Lars Vogel <lars.vo...@vogella.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks Neil.
>
> So to summaries: without the "lazy" flag my activator is only started
> if I do this explicit, i.e., it is not started without my code.

Technically, OSGi never starts a bundle unless somebody calls the
Bundle.start() method. In an Eclipse application, the “somebody” who starts
most of the bundles is p2 (org.eclipse.equinox.simpleconfigurator).

P2 calls start(Bundle.START_ACTIVATION_POLICY) on all bundles that have
Bundle-ActivationPolicy: lazy in their manifest. All other bundles are not
started at all.

> So to
> ensure the Activator runs, the flag is needed. (Unless I would start
> the bundles somewhere in my code).

This only ensures that the activator runs if you know that a class will be
loaded from the bundle. Aside from that, the only way to really *ensure* that a
bundle is started is to edit configuration/config.ini.

>>> Fax (032) 221739404, Email: lars.vo...@vogella.com, Web:
>>> http://www.vogella.com