----[Please read http://ercoupers.com/disclaimer.htm before following any advice in this forum.]----


I seem to get better distance by lowering the nose enough to keep the airspeed at or above 80 MPH however, that's NOT in ground effect.  In ground effect I'd guess that Jan's trick would work. 
 
As I'm sure you all know, the Coupe does a fair helicopter imitation with the power at idle and nose up so that the airspeed is @ 60 MPH (sinks like a rock!).    I've come in high and fooled a few controllers with that trick by dropping it on the numbers when they thought I'd have to go around.  Although to save the landing one must add power & lower the nose to pick up some speed; otherwise there's no energy to flair with (crunch!).  Don't try that trick in wind shear or gusty conditions either!
 
 
Dan 
N3968H 
----- Original Message -----
From: Wayne
To: Kevin Gassert ; 'Coupe-List'
Sent: Monday, July 12, 2004 7:57 PM
Subject: Re: [COUPERS-FLYIN] FW: [COUPERS-TECH] approach and landing speeds

----[Please read http://ercoupers.com/disclaimer.htm before following any advice in this forum.]----


I don't know everything about Ercoupe's, but I have been in that "stretch" situation and I didn't make it!  I pulled the nose up and set it to 70 and looked a couple of miles off for the airport which I would not make.  Due to the fat Clarke airfoil of the coupe the wing flies differently without the turbulence of the propeller.  And the pitot position is critical because as the sink rate increases and the forward speed decreases the airspeed indicator will read the same speed 70 miles per hour, and you are sinking like a rock.  Push the nose down, increase the airspeed and get control of the airplane not vice versa.  I think you will find your "Straight ahead" distance extended.
Wayne Woollard
 
 
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, July 12, 2004 7:35 PM
Subject: [COUPERS-FLYIN] FW: [COUPERS-TECH] approach and landing speeds

----[Please read http://ercoupers.com/disclaimer.htm before following any advice in this forum.]----


 

 


From: Ronald Garrison [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, July 12, 2004 10:18 PM
To: Kevin Gassert
Subject: RE: [COUPERS-TECH] approach and landing speeds

 

hi guys.

N99568    i am here to tell you, you may be wrong.   i was doing a fly by my field at about 200 ft. when the engine started to miss, like i was running out of gas. i dropped my nose as not to stall and did a 180 just passed the end of the runway, the coupe turned on a dime and had enough glide to make the runway, all this done at about stall speed, it flew great.  but if i would have dropped my nose like you said, i would have been in the trees.  3 people saw this happen, and could not believe how the coupe turned , and how well it glided in for a perfect dead stick landing.

so, take it for what it is worth.  some say it was the plain, and some say it was the pilot  ??? who knows.

capt. Ron

 

 

----- Original Message -----

To: Jan E Zanutto;[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sent: 07/12/2004 9:05:15 PM

Subject: RE: [COUPERS-TECH] approach and landing speeds

 

----[Please read http://ercoupers.com/disclaimer.htm before following any advice in this forum.]----
 
 

Is this serious? You guys are going to stand behind the statement that "raising the nose never increases glide distance"

 

Kevin

 

 

 

-----Original Message-----
From: Jan E Zanutto [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, July 12, 2004 2:12 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [email protected]
Subject: Re: [COUPERS-TECH] approach and landing speeds

 

----[Please read http://ercoupers.com/disclaimer.htm before following any advice in this forum.]----

 

 

Hi Ed,

 

you made the comment that raising the nose never increases glide

distance- I agree. When I first started flying I started in gliders, and

we were taught that when in a descent with no lift (sinking) the best

glide speed should be used. But, in an emergency if we find ourselves low

and landing off- field with obstacles present we were taught to put the

nose down and start building speed. As we approached the obstacle that

was between us and our desired landing spot we were taught the only way

to NOT hit the obstacle was to aim for it! Low, in ground effect at about

100+ mph I practiced it over and over, coming up on the obstacle and at

the last minute, popping up over it, and then settling into the desired

landing spot.

 

I havent attempted this in a coupe yet, and I really dont plan to unless

I have to. But one day I did prove it in a Cessna 152. What was I doing

flying one of those???? Well my CFI friend owned it and was giving me

some dual in it- anyway he cut the power on me short of the field, and I

immediately dove for the fence at the end of the runway instead of

pulling the nose up and trying to stretch it. I scared the heck out of

him, he insisted that I should have landed off-field parallel to the

fence near a canal ditch. He did not let me continue my approach and

added power. With the speed that I was building I would have easily

cleared the fence and touched down on the end of the runway.

 

I'd love to find a big open field somewhere and try to experiment with

it.

 

Jan Z

==============================================================================

To leave this forum go to: http://ercoupers.com/lists.htm

Search the archives on http://escribe.com/aviation/coupers-tech/

 

 

==============================================================================
To leave this forum go to: http://ercoupers.com/lists.htm
Search the archives on http://escribe.com/aviation/coupers-tech/
 
 
 
==============================================================================
To leave this forum go to: http://ercoupers.com/lists.htm
Search the archives on http://escribe.com/aviation/coupers/



==============================================================================
To leave this forum go to: http://ercoupers.com/lists.htm
Search the archives on http://escribe.com/aviation/coupers/



==============================================================================
To leave this forum go to: http://ercoupers.com/lists.htm
Search the archives on http://escribe.com/aviation/coupers/



==============================================================================
To leave this forum go to: http://ercoupers.com/lists.htm
Search the archives on http://escribe.com/aviation/coupers/



Reply via email to