----[Please read http://ercoupers.com/disclaimer.htm before following any
advice in this forum.]----


Hi all,
Don't knock the "seat of your pants" concept. I confess that I have been 
doing that for years.
When I feel light in the seat or it drops out from under me,  my hand 
immediately goes to the throttle until it feels right. I know I should 
pay more attention to the air speed but after 15 years and 1150 hours of 
looking out of the cockpit,  I have more problems backing the car out if 
the garage than I do landing the coupe.

I promise to monitor the air speed from now on.  Honestly.

 For Greg...More on GPS altitude tonight.

Bill Coons

Tim and Martha Briggs wrote:

>----[Please read http://ercoupers.com/disclaimer.htm before following any
advice in this forum.]----
>
>
>Kevin
>
>I practice power off landings, pulling back to idle abeam the numbers,
full
>up trim and do a circle to the numbers.  I conciously keep the nose below
>the horizon to keep from getting too slow.  Frankly, I'm not watching my
>airspeed too much but more on how my approach is shaping up.  I'd guess
I'm
>between 70-80 mph.  I like to keep the nose down and some energy on the
>airplane. Doing this, I'm almost always a little high on final and will
slip
>as needed to drop altitude.  I don't know what I'd do if I found myself
high
>on final with no rudder pedals - the slip works beautifully because you
can
>maintain your energy (airspeed) while sinking faster.  The plane recovers
>instantly from the slip.
>
>It will probably be different for each airplane, but a CFI and I tried a
>number of speeds and evaluated the power-off rate of descent.  For my
>airplane, 70MPH IAS now seems to be the magic number.  It used to be
100MPH
>IAS until I recently reconnected my pitot static lines on the left wing.
70
>MPH now gives the best rate of climb and the lowest rate of descent
(about
>500fpm) at idle.  My coupe will very gently stall at idle, with full fuel
>and a passenger if I pull through the spring "warning" to max up travel.
It
>barely drops the nose and you can just hold back pressure and it will
>lightly bob up and down losing 50-100 feet each cycle.  In this mode, it
>indicates somewhere around 40-50MPH.
>
>Maybe I should pay more attention to the airspeed indicator and less to
the
>"seat of my pants" but the airplane has a definite feel/sound when the
>airspeed is good.
>
>Hope this helps
>
>Tim
>
>
>
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: Kevin Gassert [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Sent: Sunday, July 18, 2004 6:06 PM
>To: 'Tim and Martha Briggs'; 'Licentious 99'; [email protected]
>Subject: RE: [COUPERS-FLYIN] Approach and landing speeds.
>
>
>Tim,
>    Have you not found any airspeed that will allow you to pull the
throttle
>before turning base and make a landing power off?
>
>Kevin
>
>
>
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: Tim and Martha Briggs [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2004 6:36 PM
>To: Licentious 99; [email protected]
>Subject: RE: [COUPERS-FLYIN] Approach and landing speeds.
>
>----[Please read http://ercoupers.com/disclaimer.htm before following any
>advice in this forum.]----
>
>
>My two cents:
>
>I've been trying different techniques to get a smooth landing and settled
>into the following for my 415G w/0200.  My airspeed indicator was reading
>high for so long I focused more on power and trim settings:
>
>Downwind Solo:  2000 rpm, full up trim holds me level.  If I have a
>passenger, 2100 rpm works.
>Base:  Pull back to 1500 rpm (1600rpm with a pax), establish 500fpm
decent
>rate
>Final: Keep 1500/1600 rpm all the way down final, keeping the nose down.
>Flare: I "power through" initial ground effect and begin to flare while
>SLOWLY pulling off the power - about the same rate of up elevator input
and
>throttle retarding.
>Touchdown:  If I did everything right, it squeaks on the mains as the
>throttle hits its stop.  Relax back pressure on the roll out.
>
>I have found this process gives me fairly consistent greasers and I'm off
>the runway at the first exit.  I used to pull off the power over the
numbers
>but often found myself too slow and sinking in the flare - requiring a
blast
>of power.  I have to consciously keep the nose down as I go through
inital
>ground effect or I flare too high and then sink.  The coupe to me has a
>non-linear (exponential?) rate of sink with decreasing airspeed.  If I
get
>below a certain speed, it just sinks and the elevator has little to no
>effect - even with the spring-loaded extra elevator travel on the G
model.
>
>Hope this helps
>
>Tim
>
>
>
>
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: Licentious 99 [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2004 12:01 PM
>To: [email protected]
>Subject: [COUPERS-FLYIN] Approach and landing speeds.
>
>
>----[Please read http://ercoupers.com/disclaimer.htm before following any
>advice in this forum.]----
>
>
>Just to beat a dead horse let me add my two cents worth!!
>
>I have a 415D  and have have found that you need to start the flare at
80mph
>(power off) because at 70mph you run out of elevator, perioid, end of
>discussion!!!
>
>I thought these numbers were high but I read what Greg and others have
said
>and they are right.  Below 70mph (Power off) I am out of elvevator and
must
>add a little power.  I might say that adding power has not been a
>problem....even greased it in nicely a few times .... but not good
technique
>and my hardest landings were always when I ran out of elevator.
>
>I have compared my Lowrance GPS speed with the IAS in the Ercoupe and
they
>agree within  a few MPH at all altitudes and speeds on calm days.  My IAS
is
>CORRECT.
>
>I have found that at 1750 RPM (C-85 engine) and 80 MPH  I am right on the
>glide path at KHWO.  After going to idle I flare at 80 MPH and touch down
by
>70 MPH and never need to add power.  On windy/gusty days or crosswind
days I
>add a little speed to 85MPH at flare.....this works for me very well.  If
I
>flare below 80 MPH I may ar may not have to add power...it is hit or
miss.
>
>Ed Burkhead is right about everything vis a vie Ercoups but as regards
this
>issue I would tend towards the higher approach speeds if it was your
first
>landing in a 415D.
>
>Regards,
>Ed
>
>_________________________________________________________________
>Discover the best of the best at MSN Luxury Living. http://lexus.msn.com/
>
>
>=========================================================================
===
>==
>To leave this forum go to: http://ercoupers.com/lists.htm
>Search the archives on http://escribe.com/aviation/coupers/
>
>
>
>=========================================================================
===
>==
>To leave this forum go to: http://ercoupers.com/lists.htm
>Search the archives on http://escribe.com/aviation/coupers/
>
>
>
>
>=========================================================================
=====
>To leave this forum go to: http://ercoupers.com/lists.htm
>Search the archives on http://escribe.com/aviation/coupers/
>
>
>
>
>  
>


==========================================================================
====
To leave this forum go to: http://ercoupers.com/lists.htm
Search the archives on http://escribe.com/aviation/coupers/


<<attachment: winmail.dat>>

Reply via email to