David Jones wrote: > On 22 Aug 2008, at 19:28, David-Sarah Hopwood wrote: >> Two values that are === should index the same property [*]. > >> [*] but not conversely: two values that index the same property are >> not necessarily ===. > > That highly desirable, but not true, as my earlier message illustrates. > In ES3 the ToString operator on Numbers is not required to be a true > function in the sense of always yielding the same result for the same > input.
That's true, but I strongly believe that it is a specification bug that should be fixed for ES3.1 and ES-Harmony. In practice, AFAIK, all the common JavaScript implementations do have a deterministic ToString operation on numbers (that is, deterministic for each implementation; I don't know whether there are differences between implementations). <https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/es-discuss/2008-July/006627.html> # In order to ensure implementations all behave the same way I suggest # the note at end of section 9.8.1 be moved to normative status. I agree. -- David-Sarah Hopwood _______________________________________________ Es-discuss mailing list [email protected] https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/es-discuss

