Yes, Dave Herman already mentioned that, and I replied with this:

While this is true, this is far less of a problem than opt-in local
scoping, because the errors with opt-out local scoping are always going
to be local to the block/function the variable was assigned in.

Because of this, I believe the convenience is worth the cost.