> On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 10:53 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> I think it is a tenable position that 1.5m === 1.5000m based on the
> "cohort" concept, since performing the same operation on both will
> give answers that are in the same "cohort" equivalence class. But 1.
> 5 / 10.0 != 1.5m / 10.0, and indeed, the answers would not even be
> in the same cohort. A notion of 'cohort' equivalence class based on
> correspondence in the abstract to the same real number but divorced
> from the actual semantics of the programming language strikes me as
> incoherent. I think such a notion of equivalence class only makes
> sense if performing identical operations on members of the same
> cohort gives answers which are in the same cohort.
>
> Are -0 and 0 in the same cohort?

In IEEE 754, no:

  2.1.10 cohort: The set of all floating-point representations that
represent a given
    floating-point number in a given floating-point format. In this
context ?0 and +0
    are considered distinct and are in different cohorts.

(+0 and -0 are distinguishable in binary FP as well as in decimal FP; in
fact this is the only case in binary where two finite numbers have the
same value but different representations and encodings.)

Mike

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.