Hi,

I was just looking at the proposed implementation of JSON (which apparently is already implemented in IE 8 beta 2[1]).

This implementation actually differs pretty much from Douglas Crockford's original reference implementation[2].

Prototype's JSON implementation was mapped on the original one (but avoided extending Object.prototype for obvious reasons[3]) and method names were changed (from toJSONString to toJSON) to avoid conflicting with it should it become part of the standard...

I know it's most probably too late now to do anything about it, but I'm surprised that this hasn't been taken into consideration when the specs were designed.

Any suggestions on how we should handle this ? And how this should be handled in the future so innovation isn't sniffled by the fear of possible conflicts with a possibly upcoming native implementation ? (FWIW, a good deal of what is making it's way into ES 3.1-- Function.prototype.bind, Array.prototype.forEach and friends, etc.-- was popularized, if not created by JS libraries.)

Best,

Tobie
(disclosure: I'm part of the Prototype Core Team)

---
[1] http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2008/09/10/native-json-in-ie8.aspx
[2] http://json.org/json.js
[3] http://erik.eae.net/archives/2005/06/06/22.13.54/
_______________________________________________
Es-discuss mailing list
[email protected]
https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/es-discuss

Reply via email to