On Feb 20, 2009, at 3:26 PM, Mark S. Miller wrote:

2009/2/20 Allen Wirfs-Brock <[email protected]>:
The cop-out is to just leave it as it is.

The safe decision is to mandate the current  de facto standard.

The brave (ie, risky) decision for a better long term language is to
disallow octal.

Given that Opera has survived the decision not to use octal, doesn't
this establish that this decision is adequately compatible with the
web? Opera folk, do you have any data (anecdotal would be fine) of how
much breakage you encounter because of this decision?

If the Opera experience says the risk is acceptably low, I vote to
disallow octal.

I wouldn't assume that an Opera-only behavior is safe for the Web; there are a number of Opera-specific behaviors that for instance Firefox or Safari would not accept as meeting our threshold of Web compatibility. I would be interested in hearing what, if any, bugs they have run into.

I think the wise thing to do here is specify a requirement for octal support. The potential improvement in overall usability of the language seems small and not worth taking a compatibility risk.

Regards,
Maciej

_______________________________________________
Es-discuss mailing list
[email protected]
https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/es-discuss

Reply via email to