On Sep 25, 2009, at 10:29 PM, Cameron McCormack wrote:

unsigned long doesn’t map exactly to Number.  Assigning a Number to an
unsigned long attribute does truncation, for example:

 http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/WebIDL/#es-unsigned-long

The case could be made for “float”, which maps to Number (apart from
floats being exactly IEEE 754 singles whereas Number treats all NaNs the
same).  The type name “float” comes from OMG IDL and is thus already
familiar to people. I think it’s a better name for that IDL type (i.e.,
language binding neutral type) than Number.

JS numbers are IEEE doubles, not singles (modulo the indistinguishability of different NaNs and other such details).

Additionally, it's not a very simple spec to understand. Putting
together things like "[Replaceable] readonly" requires some conceptual
work, which makes understanding the HTML5 spec quite difficult.

I agree that’s unintuitive.  Would a different name for the extended
attribute here help?

For what it's worth, this concept has been called "replaceable" for some time in the oral tradition of browser implementors.

Regards,
Maciej