On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 11:40 AM, Maciej Stachowiak <m...@apple.com> wrote:

> On Dec 4, 2009, at 1:48 PM, Garrett Smith wrote:
>
>> Static Array and String Generics was an ES4 proposal[0], and is
>> implemented in Mozilla JavaScript 1.6[1].
>>
>> What are the plans for including Array and String Generics in future
>> revision of ES?
>
> I'm curious about this as well. We've had some requests to add these to
> JavaScriptCore. I'd like to know if they were explicitly rejected from
> standard ECMAScript, or might be considered for further ECMAScript editions.
>
> Would the ECMAScript standards community advise that we implement these in
> WebKit or hold off?

Mozilla js engine is the only one that implements static Array
generics that I know of.

If webkit implements Array generics, then they will likely become
standard. You might consider posting a thread on c.l.js to get more
feedback from javascript programmers about static Array generics.

You might also consider the arguments of Allen and weigh them against
the other arguments (mine), and make a decision.

Allen believes they will be the source of confusion. Mark Miller
believes the added complexity is not worth the convenience provided.
My arguments are that they can make the code simpler and clearer.

Garrett