On 7/18/10, Allen Wirfs-Brock <allen.wirfs-br...@microsoft.com> wrote:
> [...]

My answer to each an every one of those survey questions (I don't
really have time, so feel  free to complete it for me, Allen) is
"Please fix your website".

>> While that is true for the purposes of the specification, it is not
>> necessarily true
>> for script authors. For any script wanting to define `isHostObject`, that
>> script is
>> going to be in a predicament.
>>

> isHostObject sounds inherently implementation dependent to me.  I don't see
> how you could possibly write such a thing in an implementation independent
> manner, given the current specification.  I also don't know why you would
> want to.  What's the use case?

Did you miss the part where I wrote:

 “However, from a programmer's perspective, `Object.prototype.toString.call(x)`
cannot discriminate between objects originating in the host
environment (what is currently defined as "host object") and native
objects. Mostly they shouldn't care, but should follow the
specification approach to derive [[Class]] based inference, however
they can't follow that because that is not compatible with existing
implementations (notably IE versions and Opera (which copied IE)), and
making an "isStrict"”

?

Garrett