Ok, I see. So it's true that the current Proxy API doesn't support promises
that would throw on instanceof when unresolved and return a boolean when
resolved. The main reason is that we didn't want proxies to meddle with the
inheritance chain, in particular giving proxies the ability to implement
dynamic inheritance. While intercepting instanceof doesn't truly introduce
dynamic inheritance in the language, you could definitely create proxies
that are `instanceof` prototypes from unrelated hierarchies, which could
spell trouble.

If the prototype or constructor function of the to-be-calculated value of a
promise is known to the promise creator, it is possible to make `instanceof`
work somewhat sensibly for promises:

var pet = promiseFor(Cat); // promise implementor can now write:
Proxy.create(Cat.prototype, ...)
// assume pet is still unresolved:
pet instanceof Cat // true since the promise proxy already has the correct
prototype

I said "somewhat sensibly" since this may or may not be the behavior you'd
want for unresolved promises.

Note that even the proposed "instanceof trap" would not help if the
constructor function (Cat in the above example) is not in bed with the
promise abstraction, since `obj instanceof F` would trap on F's handler, not
on obj's handler. If F is a promise-aware function proxy, it could then
check whether obj is an unresolved promise and throw. But it would require
user code to write at least:

Cat = PromiseAwareWrapperFor(function () { ... }); // declare that my
instances can be promises

Cheers,
Tom