> It doesn't specify how to print objects, except for %s, which says that if
>> the argument is not
>> a string, convert it to string using .toString().
>>

> If the format specifier does not apply to the argument given, it should
> raise exceptions. Except string conversion, no other conversion will be
> done.

I like your first six points, but the formatting string stuff feels odd to
me: neither dynamic nor object-oriented. C needs format specifiers because
it doesn't otherwise know now to interpret the bits you give. ES doesn't
have that problem.

At the same time, baking a rigid set of formatting instructions into
string.format() feels like a poor separation of concerns. string.format()'s
just is to compose a string out of smaller pieces. Why should it need to
know anything about numbers or dates?

Could we just say that this:

    "hi, {0:blah}.".format(someObj);

Is (conceptually) desugared to:

    ("hi, " + someObj.toFormat("blah") + ".")

So anything after the ":" in an argument (the format string) gets passed to
the object itself by way of a call to toFormat() (or some other method name)
on it. Then each object can decide what format strings are appropriate for
it.

This keeps the responsibilities separate: string.format() does composition,
and the composed object own their own formatting. It's also extensible: you
can define your own formatting capabilities for your types and use them with
string.format() by defining toFormat(). (By default, I would assume that
Object.prototype.toFormat() just calls toString()).

This, I think, helps with locale issues too. Types like Date that care about
locale will be able to handle it themselves in their call to toFormat()without
string.format() needing to deal with it.

- bob