On 5/16/11 10:20 PM, Allen Wirfs-Brock wrote:
That seems like it'll make it very easy to introduce strings that are a mix of
the two via concatenation....

Some implementations already use tree structures to represent strings that are
built via concatenation.  It would be straight forward to have such a tree
string representation where some segments have 16-bit cells and others 32-bit
(or even 8-bit) cells. That is probably how I would present any long string
that that contained only a few supplemental characters.

I'm not talking about the implementation end. I can see how I'd implement this stuff, or make Luke implement it or something. What I don't see is how the JS program author can sanely work with the result.

-Boris