On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 4:59 PM, Adam Shannon <a...@ashannon.us> wrote:

> I like the idea of putting .format() on the Date; it would allow for
> quick and easy access to a handy formatter. However, would it make
> more sense to use the set that php uses to format dates?[0] I would
> assume that developers would be more familiar with that.
>
> [0]: http://us3.php.net/manual/en/function.date.php

Since that isn't the format used in CLDR, you would have to translate the
localized formats to that.  Also, you can't properly localize date formats
for all the locales given that, since for example it doesn't support the
concept of standalone vs non-standalone month names.

--
John A. Tamplin
Software Engineer (GWT), Google