On Jun 1, 2011, at 12:21 AM, Dmitry A. Soshnikov wrote:

> Ah, come on, of course I didn't compare them apples-to-apples. Just said that
> it's more likely that some elegant and powerful syntactic construction/sugar
> will be used more often than use-cases with WeakMaps and it turns out that
> much more time is given to WeakMaps than to p-matching.

Actually, you wrote "IMO this proposal is much more interesting and needed for
the lang than e.g. WeakMaps", where "needed" sets up a false dilemma. There's
"needed" and then there is "wanted". WeakMaps are needed in cases where you
can't simulate them with existing facilities. Pattern-matching is wanted and
you could argue "need" because of cost of implementing a matching library and
calling functions instead of writing statements, but that is "just syntax".

As to which would is interesting or which would be used more, you're arguably
right -- but that doesn't mean we face an either/or, or that proposals were
done out of order...