Note that

http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=harmony:regexp_y_flag

has been promoted to harmony:proposals status (see
http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=harmony:proposals), so very likely to be
in ES.next.

With this flag on a regexp, you don't need extra arguments for a suite of
methods. Instead you set the regexp's lastIndex property (or let it start at 0
and then be updated by successive matches -- the y flag causes updates to
lastIndex in the same way that the g flag does).

As for matching $ at the end, that is a less common use-case not served by the
y flag. Usually you are lexing through a string and want to avoid an anchoring
search, and of course avoid taking tail slices at each lastIndex. But the lexer
munches according to a regular grammar and knows when to stop. It is atypical
to want $ to match exactly N characters from the anchor point.

/be