On Jul 19, 2011, at 1:27 PM, Brendan Eich wrote:
> We are *not* gonna standardize mutable [[Prototype]].

The concept of an operator that logically modifies the RHS operand seems
unfortunate, as does having an operator with an implicit requirement that the
RHS be a literal.  The fact that the only reason that setting the prototype is
acceptable to us is because the RHS is a literal seems to raise the question
whether this really should be the action of an operator?  Do we not just need
an extension to the object/array literal syntax to allow the prototype to be
specified within the literal?

Some engines already allow syntax to declare a prototype for an object literal,
e.g.:

        var o = { __proto__: protoObj, a:1, b:2 };

Does this produce the same results as:

        var o = protoObj <| { a:1, b:2 };

?
I'm sure that we don't want to standardize __proto__, perhaps an option closer
to the spec would be:

        var o = { [[Prototype]]: protoObj, a:1, b:2 };

Though I'm sure this isn't particularly lovable syntax, particularly if we want
to support this for array literals.
Maybe something based on the idea of the <| operator might work?, say:

        var o = { |> protoObj, a:1, b:2 };

Apologies in advance if I'm missing an understanding of an important detail of
the <| operator as proposed.

cheers,
G.