> From: Brendan Eich <bren...@mozilla.com>
> Date: July 19, 2011 21:16:29 GMT+02:00
> To: Luke Hoban <lu...@microsoft.com>
> Cc: "es-discuss@mozilla.org" <es-discuss@mozilla.org>
> Subject: Re: An "extend" operator is a natural companion to <|
>

> On Jul 19, 2011, at 11:56 AM, Luke Hoban wrote:
>
>> The arguments in favor of a library alternative are:
>> 1) Immediately useful to all JS developers
>> 2) Simple, understandable syntax consistent with existing practice
>
> I agree with all this, but demur here:
>

>> From discussions with some Microsoft dev teams, that could be a 3+ year
>> difference in adoption timeline.
>
> If this is a give me the goods now argument, and the goods can be expressed
> via functions, I'm with you.
>
> If this is "new syntax takes too long to be usable due to downrev browsers,
> mainly IE", then that's no reason to stall progress on usable and new syntax
> for novel semantics (i.e., shallow continuations). Harmony requires not
> putting the language into a no-new-syntax straightjacket. That was ES3.1 ->
> ES5, and we are past it.
>
> But I quite agree that we should consider functions as alternatives to
> special forms where they are plausible (so, not for yield, to pick up the
> shallow continuations example).

The <| operator looks so good and is so useful that I would consider the
possibility of having both the operator and an Object.* (or module!) method
that does the same, even though that is redundant. But it would allow you to
use the method/function in portable code and use the operator in Harmony-only
code.

--
Dr. Axel Rauschmayer

a...@rauschma.de