A convenient notation for multiline documentation comments, with convenient 
reflection (*not* via toString() scraping!), would be a fine thing.

Some of the design dimensions:

0. Comment vs. string / quasiliteral?

1. function-only, or object literal too -- or any declaration?

2. Before function, a la javadoc comments, or first thing in body, a la the 
prologue directive idea?

3. Reflected via function .doc property, a Function.extractDocComment static 
method, or something even more mirror-like/stratified?

I'm not sure what is best, I lack experience programming in languages with 
doc-comment or triple-quoted equivalents (Python attached tests, e.g.). 
Comments (heh) welcome.

Thinking about 1, I would start with function-only.

For 2 I'm inclined to say "in body" because it's too easy to lose the "before" 
context during the life of a function, compared to losing part of the body by 
accident.

Regarding 3, I bet Function.extractDocComment or a better name wins, especially 
if the whole solution allows monkey-patching a polyfill for downrev browsers 
that support source recovery (not SpiderMonkey's decompiler).

/be
_______________________________________________
es-discuss mailing list
[email protected]
https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/es-discuss

Reply via email to