On 24 August 2011 01:07, Allen Wirfs-Brock <al...@wirfs-brock.com> wrote:
> Also there can be real problems with exposing too much program metadata
> directly to the application layer. I've had lots of experience with Smalltalk
> environments where this was the case and it leads to a muddling of the
> metalayers and the application layers of a system because many developers
> don't understand the concepts of stratification well enough to know which
> methods are not really appropriate for use in application logic.

That is true, although you cannot really blame the programmers when
the language designers already muddled it up. That very sin has been
committed in JavaScript, for example, by putting arbitrary reflective
methods into innocent intrinsics like Object. I guess programmers
would be much less likely to abuse them if they had a separate home in
an object/module explicitly named Meta, Reflect, or something.

/Andreas