On Saturday, 2011-09-03 at 24:55 , Oliver Hunt wrote:
> > On Sep 2, 2011, at 3:41 PM, Brendan Eich wrote: > > On Sep 2, 2011, at 3:29 PM, Irakli Gozalishvili wrote: > > > On Friday, 2011-09-02 at 22:28 , Brendan Eich wrote: > > > > Can you show your label hack for SpiderMonkey to es-discuss? > > > > > > > > > > Ahh sorry I did not realized I forgot to post link: > > > > > > https://github.com/Gozala/doc > > Cool! Permit me to cite some of your README content to help promote to > > those who did not click ;-) -- here it is: > > > > var doc = require('doc').doc doc(doc) // Prints following output: /* > > function doc(source) { ... } > > ----------------------------------------------- Prints documentanion of the > > given function */ // You can also document your own functions: function > > compose() { doc: "Returns the composition of a list of functions, where > > each function" | "consumes the return value of the function that follows. > > In math" | "terms, composing the functions `f()`, `g()`, and `h()` > > produces" | "`f(g(h()))`." | "Usage:" | "var greet = function(name) { > > return 'hi: ' + name }" | "var exclaim = function(statement) { return > > statement + '!' }" | "var welcome = compose(exclaim, greet)" | > > "welcome('moe')" | "//> 'hi: moe!'" > > Function.toString isn't standardised, and I recall that in the past SM did > elide dead code, multiple engines reformat code, so in general this doesnt > seem reliable at a library level. Yeap toString is not reliable, but hey it works just fine on most engines I know ;) Also SM strips out dec code that's why I use label hack so that it keeps it :) > It also doesn't work for builtin functions, and I feel we'd want a solution > that allows documentation for builtin functions as well. > > > In fact `doc` function will work with built-ins just fine, even though output is not that useful: > doc(Array.prototype.slice) > function slice($1, $2) { ... } > > From the pov of runtime identification, we'd be in the odd position of having > to try and identify valid code as being documentation. > > This shouldn't be taken as support for this idea (documentation as part of > the language) as I feel that this is the type of feature i'd associate with > the development environment rather than part of the language. > > --Oliver
_______________________________________________ es-discuss mailing list [email protected] https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/es-discuss

