On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 11:26 AM, Axel Rauschmayer <a...@rauschma.de> wrote:

>  *From: *Allen Wirfs-Brock <al...@wirfs-brock.com>
>

> +1
>
> Bottom line, I disagree with John J's  initial premise about the  path we
> are on.  I also am convinced that for all design choices we make(I'm not
> just talking about syntax here) there will be  loud voices with objections.
>  It is important that we listen to them.  However, if community wide
> consensus determined from tweets, blog posts, and discussion list message is
> going to be necessary for every new feature to go forward then we might as
> well stop working on future ES revisions.
>

> Agreed. Statistically, for every 5% of people who make their voice heard,
> there are 95% that are keeping quiet.

I hope you will reconsider. The 5% who speak up are exactly the people who
need to be convinced. They are the ones interested in this work; they are
the ones who can advocate for implementation, educate other developers, and
bring the new technology into full use.  They are you users. The practical
way to understand what the 95% would say if you asked them is to listen to
the 5%.

Listening is not seeking consensus. Listening is the best path to learning
how to communicate the ideas better. It is also the best path to realizing
that most JS developers have nothing like the amount of time you do to learn
to be effective with sophisticated abstractions.

Expecting to base evaluation on some form of user testing as Allen proposes
is, in my experience completely hopeless. As Allen notes this kind of
feature requires in depth use. In this case that will be months not minutes.
Even then I'd be skeptical User testing results are almost always 'cooked',
arranged by the experimenter to create the result they seek. They do have
value, primarily because the process of creating the test and explaining to
the user flushes out a lot of bugs in ideas and their presentation. User
testing for certain kinds of user interface changes can be effective, but
its way out of its range here.

jjb