Hi,

I have just noticed [1], read all messages on this thread and thought
that the "JavaScript stack size limit" for
Array.prototype.push.apply(firstArray, secondArray); was an
implementation concern rather than anything else and it really sounds
weird to me to add a method just because implementations aren't capable
of performing well with some methods.
Theorically speaking, why .pushAll would do better than
.push.apply+second argument? There is no reason I can think of.

I think that implementors did implement strictly ES5 definition of push:
Array.prototype.push ( [ item1 [ , item2 [ , … ] ] ] ) which considers
each item as a new argument, making the stack grow. Why would a .pushAll
do better? Because there is only one argument which is an array. So I
think that instead of adding pushAll, we'd rather redefine .push with
the great "...rest" parameters [2]

Array.prototype.push = function(...items){
let O = ToObject(this);
let lenVal = O.length;
let n = ToUint32(lenVal);
let itemsList = ToList(items); // sorry for the bickshed
while(itemsList.length != 0){
let E = itemsList.pop(); // bickshed bis
O[n] = E;
n++;
O.length = n;
}
return n;
};

(which is pretty much Jeff's implementation of .pushAll in the initial
message)

As a matter of fact, maybe that all methods that where previously
defined as "myFunction(a, b [, c1 [, c2 [ , … ] ] ])" would have rather
being re-specified in the form of "myFunction(a, b, ...c)". Should I
file a bug on that?

Regarding implementations of .push, if they can do as good as a .pushAll
could, then they are just buggy and should be fixed in my opinion.

What do you think?

David

[1] http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=strawman:array.prototype.pushall
[2] http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=harmony:rest_parameters