January 16, 2012 2:18 PM

The goal that is missing, and what I believe is the single most important part of my New Year's email, is:

9. Allow programmers to continue thinking of JS as a single cohesive language.

Thanks, this is the transcendant usability goal in my view. ES4 suffered for many reasons, and seeming to create too different a language was one of its biggest conceptual (as in problem in the abstract, not just in concrete proposals) flaws. Not all of this was bad PR, either.

If we have already gone too far in terms of runtime "five fingers of fate" changes with completion reform, we can pare back. But I'd like to give c.r. a chance -- it may be non-breaking.

New compile-time reforms such as modules making free variable typos be early errors are a feature, and the fact that they're early errors is pure unadulterated win.

New early errors (provided they are not prone to false positives or attempts to enfoce style on which reasonable people disagree) seem all good. Early errors under new syntax are not a forking of the language from being One _javascript_.

Version opt-in goes the other way, not just as a user-facing requirement to use an early top level pragma, but also in terms of learning, thinking, and further evolving the language. This is a risk for spec editors and TC39 -- I believe strongly that we must not fork the spec.