I think "mode" terminology is quite misleading, particularly in regard to run
time semantics. For Es5 (and I believ es6) there is no need of for a global
runtime mode bit that is analagous to a cpu mode bit that ambiently changes the
semantics of some or all instruction.  Instead, we have multiple semantic for
some constructs where the appropiate semantics to use can be apriori determined
based up lexical context prior to runtime.

From a es programmer's perspectve it is reasonable to think about code as being
in a strict context or perhaps an es6 context (a module Context?).  But calling
such contexts "modes" may create confusion, sometimes even for us.

Allen