On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 3:26 PM, Waldemar Horwat <walde...@google.com> wrote:

> On 02/03/2012 08:07 PM, Mark S. Miller wrote:
>
>  On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Waldemar Horwat <walde...@google.com<mailto:
>> walde...@google.com>> wrote:
>>
>>    On 02/02/2012 06:27 PM, Waldemar Horwat wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>    Note that this is more complex than just having the parser switch
>> modes for the treatment of / as division vs. regexp.  Here comments and
>> white space are also affected, which can in turn the structure of the lexer
>> upside down.  The kinds of cases I'm thinking of are:
>>
>>    `abc$/*comment*/identifier//
>>    `
>>    (here we have a /**/ comment and a // comment)
>>

>> There is no valid quasiHole above, so the whole thing matches a
>> QuasiOnly. The QuasiOnly includes all characters between the backticks.
>> Nothing is taken to be a comment, just like it wouldn't be if it appeared
>> within a string.
>>

> According to which lexical grammar?  According to the one you provided
> earlier in this thread, `abc$ is a QuasiOpen token:
>
>  QuasiOpen ::
>        ` QuasiChar* $
>

> Parsing further, /*comment*/identifier is a single identifier token as far
> as the syntactic grammar is concerned.

I was imprecise. I'll try again, using only lexical grammar concepts and
making explicit where whitespace, comments, etc may appear.

    Token ::
        IdentifierName
        Punctuator
        NumericLiteral
        StringLiteral
        Quasi

    Quasi ::
        QuasiOnly
        QuasiOpen QuasiHole (QuasiMiddle QuasiHole)* QuasiClose

    QuasiOnly ::
        ` QuasiChar* `

    QuasiOpen ::
        ` QuasiChar* $

    QuasiMiddle ::
        QuasiChar* $

    QuasiEnd ::
        QuasiChar* `

    QuasiChar ::
        SourceCharacter *but not one of $ or `*
        $ $
        $ `
        $ \ EscapeSequence

    QuasiHole ::
        Identifier
        { Spacing* (BalancedCurlySequence Spacing*)* }

    BalancedCurlySequence ::
        Token *but not one of { or }*
        { Spacing* (BalancedCurlySequence Spacing*)* }

    Spacing ::
        WhiteSpace
        LineTerminator
        Comment

Within a Quasi, no character sequences are interpreted as whitespace or
comments except where indicated by Spacing above.

--
    Cheers,
    --MarkM