On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 3:05 PM, Oliver Hunt <oli...@apple.com> wrote:

> [...]
> argument and arguments.length is 1?
>
> Sorry, that behaviour makes no sense at all.
>

> >> foo(3);
> >
> > 3, 2, 1
> >
> >> foo(undefined, undefined);
> >
> > 1, 2, 2
>
> So i've passed 2 arguments, but they both get replaced?
>

> >> foo(undefined, 3);
> >
> > 1, 3, 2
>
> So if you have default values we have to emit code to check for undefined
> in each case?
>
> is foo(a=5, b) valid?  The above examples imply that it should be.
>

> >> foo(3, undefined);
> >
> > 3, 2, 2
> >
> >> Default values are for when arguments are not passed,
> >
> > Stated without evidence!
>
> C++, python, ...
>

> >> it does not make logical sense to say that they're the value given just
> because someone has passed undefined.
> >
> > It makes perfect sense. But hey, I had the same reaction as you at
> first, so I sympathize. Default values conceptually represent "no value
> provided," and the natural way to think of this from a language designer or
> implementer's perspective is to think about whether the syntax of the call
> included an argument at the particular position. But this is not the
> *programmer's* perspective. From the programmer's perspective, it's "do I
> have a value to provide for this argument?" And in reality, the answer to
> that question is often a *dynamic* one, not a static one. You often have to
> make the decision at runtime whether to provide a value for a given
> argument. When you do, the semantics based on arguments.length has terrible
> consequences: you either have to write a combinatorial explosion of
> separate calls (code bloat -- unacceptable), or you just end up
> reimplementing the default logic by conditionally producing the default
> value (abstraction violation -- unacceptable).
> >
> > So after thinking more about it, I came to the conclusion that:
> >
> > - default values are for when no value *of the expected input type* was
> provided
> > - undefined is almost universally used in JS as a sentinel value for "I
> have no value of the expected input type," because it's not statically
> typed so it's not possible to express option types
> > - whenever you need to make conditional decisions about whether you have
> a value for various arguments, the arguments.length semantics has
> unacceptable engineering consequences
> > - in the rare cases where you want to treat undefined as an acceptable
> value of the expected input type, just don't use default values
>
> This makes it impossible for me to distinguish between passing undefined
> as an argument and not passing an argument.  If i've written:
>
> foo(undefined)
>
> There's a very clear expectation that i have selected undefined as the
> value i want to be passed.  Yet you're saying this should be interpreted as
> foo() (only with a shorter arguments.length).

Can I just say that it bothers me when we start thinking about undefined as
an actual thing? We have something for that. It's null. Undefined is the
lack of definition. If I have an object foo and I start asking for things
it doesn't have, foo.nope, foo.sorry, foo.i_dont_think_so - those are all
undefined. foo is not an object with infinite slots all filled with the
value undefined. Those things are just not defined. So yes, quite frankly,
I think logically, foo(undefined) really should be the same as foo(), and
trying to twist your function to be something else is an abuse of
undefined. I recognize that there is a challenge reconciling this with
arguments.length and rest parameters, but lets not make it worse than it
has to be.

- Russ