David Bruant wrote:
From a practical point of view, if 2 implementations differ on one aspect of the language, it means that there is no content relying on either of the 2 implementations for that aspect of the language, whether they follow the spec or even both diverge differently from it.

It's not that simple on the web. For instance, longstanding IE vs. Netscape/Mozilla forking, e.g.

  if (document.all) { ... } else { ... }

can mean some divergence among the "else" browsers is ok because not relied on there, but not ok in the "then" case.

You're probably right, but we are not making data and accessors asymmetric in the sense that a non-writable data property and a get-only accessor on a prototype object both throw (strict) or silently fail to update the LHF (non-strict) on assignment that would otherwise create a shadowing property in a delegating object.

This was debated at last week's TC39 meeting. Between the desire to preserve this symmetry (not paramount, there are many dimensions and symmetries to consider) and the V8 bug being fixed (and the JSC bug on which the V8 bug was based already being fixed in iOS6), I believe we kept consensus to follow the spec.