Allen Wirfs-Brock wrote:
I see a potential benefit to implementor in the "deferred early error" concept 
and there are implementation alternatives that would be lost without it.  I see a minor 
negative impact to developers.  They would need to take an extra pre-deployment action in 
order to be sure that a ES source file does not violate any  ES static semantic 
restrictions.  To me this seems like a plausible cost/benefit trade-off.

I don't think this holds up. Modern JS wraps most top level code in

(function () {
  ...
})();

or similar. That makes a bunch of ES6 "static" errors runtime errors.

Anyway, ES5 did what it did. That may be a place to stop adding early errors, but agreeing on this point does not automatically include the idea of making functions containing tardy static errors into invocation-fused explosive devices!

We should consider all the ES6 would-be/maybe-static errors, as decided at last week's meeting, and evaluate them one by one. Some may have no high analysis overhead.

/be
_______________________________________________
es-discuss mailing list
[email protected]
https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/es-discuss

Reply via email to