On Nov 26, 2012, at 12:36 AM, David Bruant wrote:

Le 25/11/2012 15:32, Axel Rauschmayer a écrit :
If indeed both kinds of proxy are useful and direct proxies are more powerful, then why not only have a foundational direct proxy API and implement a tool type NotificationProxy that is based on that API.
An interesting question I still haven't found a satisfying answer to is: is the additional power of current proxies useful? and worth the cost? Because the current freedom of proxies is the root cause of invariant checks that even good proxy citizens have to pay.

One of the motivating use cases for Proxies is self-hosting exotic built-ins and host objects such as current Web API objects. If the standard built-in Proxy abstraction isn't expressive enough for that job (and also efficient enough) then we haven't achieve the goal of supporting that use case.
I agree, but I haven't read evidence on the thread that notification proxies would have insufficient power to do so. In my other answer, I pointed to a couple of expressiveness (minor) losses, but nothing that would prevent self-hosting Web APIs. Do you have particular examples in mind?

David