Allen Wirfs-Brock wrote:
> if we excluded the cascade result at the API design level then we are
> making it impossible for those who like the cascade pattern from using it.

The biggest thing I got out of the discussion Mark linked to is that the
cascade pattern is potentially supportable with an operator in a future ES. It
seems like if there's a pretty good possibility a cascade operator will be
something we can look forward to in ES7, then it'd be redundant to have methods
which return `this` -- which frees up mutation methods to return other,
potentially meaningful things (true/false for delete, value for set, etc).

Nathan