We have yet to find a solution that does not leak information between
two actors that are not supposed to be able to communicate. At this
point we have a lot of important work to do for ES6 and until someone
comes up with a solution to the security issues WeakRefs are
postponed.

I'm not an expert in this field but I can try to explain the problem
as I understand it.

- Given a master actor M that can communicate with two independent
actors A and B (but A cannot communicate with B).
- M passes a frozen object O to A.
- A then creates a WeakRef for O.
- A also strongly holds on to O.
- M then passes the same object to B.
- B creates another weak ref to O.
- Now B will get notified when A stops holding strongly to O leading
to a communication channel.

It is possible that we can accept this information leak and just have
Caja etc blacklist use of WeakRefs but this is a discussion that we
decided to postpone for now.

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 1:55 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 1:48 PM, Kevin Gadd <kevin.g...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> A search shows some old discussions of the topic mentioning that they
>> might be going in to future versions of the language, etc. But on the
>> other hand I've been told in response to this question before that
>> TC39 has a general policy against features that allow garbage
>> collection to be visible to applications.
>>
>> There's still a strawman up on the wiki:
>> http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=strawman:weak_references and
>> while it appears to be a relatively simple, sane way to expose weak
>> references, it looks like the strawman hasn't been touched since late
>> 2011. Is that because it's dead? Or was it deprioritized because weak
>> references are believed to not be needed by JS application developers?
>
> I believe that proposal was dropped in favor of just always using WeakMaps.
>
> ~TJ

erik