Kevin Reid wrote:
I'm doing a little maintenance on SES. Chrome has recently added a new
odd behavior:

var o = Object.create(null);
Object.getOwnPropertyNames(o)
[]
Object.getOwnPropertyDescriptor(o, '__proto__');
Object {value: null, writable: true, enumerable: false, configurable: false}

Oh come on! :-P

The two results are clearly non-conformant, in that gOPN and gOPD
should be consistent with each other. However, the problem that I'm
wanting to record accurately is the fact that Object.create(null) has
(however inconsistently) any properties at all (thus interfering with
table-like uses).

ES6 will specify __proto__ as "own" and configurable in Object.prototype. Whether magic data or accessor with censored or poisoned getter and setter I'm not sure at the moment, but the above will definitely not conform to ES6.

15.2.3.5 Object.create refers to 15.2.2.1 which specifies “a newly
created native ECMAScript object”. Where is the initial state of the
collection of properties of a “newly created” object specified? (8.6
defining the Object type doesn't say anything about the existence of
non-internal properties.)

Whoa, spec hole. Allen?

(I recognize that this behavior may well be a deliberate variance to
reconcile __proto__ and ES5/ES6. This is not a complaint; this is a
request to consult spec-lawyers.)

Ok, whew. Sorry for lawyering,